- I asked Lara whether crews had discovered problems during construction - poor building plans or designs or materials.
- Not long time back building designs & drawings was a pain in the neck by the hand using the conventional pen and paper on a drafting table.
- The location of the Quarter will depend on the developer's plans and designs and scale of buildings.
- The result is that component design is rarely conceived of in such a way that lends itself to automated manufacturing.
- The set and light design, which was conceived of even before the script was written, was being touted as the main focus of the piece.
- Some plans are difficult to administer, but this is often a result of complex design chosen by the plan sponsor.
- Some crystal or fine glassware has a gilt design or edge on the rim of glass or as a decorative design or a patterned glass dish.
- It featured exuberant decorative patterns, designs in the brickwork and wooden attachments.
- It was used by my grandmother and her mother before her as a means of chalking decorative patterns and designs upon the slate hearthstone and doorstep.
- Neither its design nor its purpose has changed in that time.
- The design behind these incidents was undoubtedly to give it a communal colour.
- A second argument draws from the appearance of design in the universe the conclusion that there must be a Designer.
- So the building was deliberately designed to function both as a station and as a fort.
- A competition will be launched to decide who will design the new buildings.
- Of course buildings must be designed with consideration of how they will fit in.
- The new website is designed to help students plan how they get to school or college.
- This equips the researchers to design studies in vitro that will allow them to improve animal welfare and reduce variability.
- Many brands and types of products are specifically designed to protect and restore your leather goods.
- As a result of a plan; intentionally: I became a presenter by default rather than by designMore example sentences
- If they did end up saving too little, they'd have done so by design rather than default.
- Well, it may seem obvious that they both are made by design or intent.
- Lots of people are starting to suspect that's by design rather than by accident.
have designs on
- Aim to obtain (something desired), typically in a secret and dishonest way: he suspected her of having designs on the family fortuneMore example sentences
- He emerged as sole leader of the opposition in 1263, but his position had weakened, for many magnates suspected him of having designs on the throne.
- We still have designs on taking that third spot and qualifying for Europe.
- The only way to avoid deaths on such a grand scale is to ensure someone who has designs on power are dealt with in the strictest manner at the earliest opportunity.
Late Middle English (as a verb in the sense 'to designate'): from Latin designare 'to designate', reinforced by French désigner. The noun is via French from Italian.
seal from Old English:
Rather than signing their name, people formerly stamped a personal seal in wax on a completed letter or other document. The expressions put the seal on, ‘to put the finishing touch to something’, and set your seal to, ‘to mark something with your own distinctive character’, both derive from this. To seal something off reflects the use of seals to check that something has not been opened or disturbed. In these and related uses, seal goes back to Latin sigillum ‘small picture’, from signum ‘a sign’, the source of design (late 16th century), designate (mid 17th century), ensign (Late Middle English), insignia (mid 17th century), sign (Middle English), signal (Late Middle English), scarlet, and numerous other English words. This seal dates from Middle English. The name of the animal seal derives from Old English seolh, the source also of the selkie or silkie (mid 16th century), the mysterious seal woman of folklore.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.