Definition of desman in English:
A small, semiaquatic European mammal related to the mole, with a long, tubular muzzle and webbed toes.
- Family Talpidae: the Russian desman (Desmana moschata) and the Pyrenean desman (Galemys pyrenaicus)
- The family Talpidae consists of moles and desmans; currently, its approximately 42 species are grouped into 17 genera.
- Moles are from the family Talpidae which includes moles, desmans, and shrew-moles.
- Primarily an insectivore, the desman's diet consists of aquatic insects and their larvae, along with snails and small, slow-moving fish, which are attracted to its trenches by the musk smell and aerated water it leaves in its wake.
Definition of desman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan