Definition of despondent in English:
In low spirits from loss of hope or courage.
- He was not too despondent after his defeat and believes he can launch a stronger bid when he has gained more experience.
- A man is sometimes despondent from disappointment, is gloomy, and has no courage to work.
- It was a break they both needed as both had been depressed and despondent.
- Example sentences
- He shook his head despondently: ‘Where did all that pension money go anyway?
- It has actually become very common - despondently, depressingly, unbearably common.
- Yet the match descended despondently back into a dark slumber until injury-time was upon us.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan