In low spirits from loss of hope or courage.
More example sentences
- He was not too despondent after his defeat and believes he can launch a stronger bid when he has gained more experience.
- A man is sometimes despondent from disappointment, is gloomy, and has no courage to work.
- It was a break they both needed as both had been depressed and despondent.
- More example sentences
- He shook his head despondently: ‘Where did all that pension money go anyway?
- It has actually become very common - despondently, depressingly, unbearably common.
- Yet the match descended despondently back into a dark slumber until injury-time was upon us.