Definition of destroyer in English:
1A small, fast warship, especially one equipped for a defensive role against submarines and aircraft.
- The fleet includes a submarine, a destroyer and an aircraft carrier.
- These ships were to be supported by six torpedo-boat destroyers, two submarines and support ships.
- At sea, he served in a battleship, an aircraft carrier, in cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and a minesweeper.
1.1Someone or something that destroys: the greatest destroyer of love and peace
More example sentences
- Gunns is also a destroyer of native forests on other private land, by means of joint ventures or other commercial arrangements with owners of native forests.
- Shiva is the destroyer of the world, following Brahma the creator and Vishnu the preserver, after which Brahma again creates the world and so on.
- The long duration of their wars, and their inflexible adherence to their purpose, are to be ranked among the foremost destroyers of the human species.
Definition of destroyer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan