(chiefly British also desulphurize)
Definition of desulfurize in English:
Remove sulfur or sulfur compounds from (a substance).
- A recent innovation desulfurizes the paste, produces lead carbonate, recovers sodium sulfate crystals, and recycles the H 2 O.
- Magnesium treatment desulphurises the iron to below 0,02% before alloying with the iron, and for economic reasons the sulphur content should be as low as possible.
- Mutant strains that were unable to desulphurize aromatic or aliphatic sulphonates in vitro showed a different effect on plant growth: strain SN36, deficient in the asfA gene; strain SN34, deficient in the ssuE gene.
- Example sentences
- A more recent application of formic acid is for pH regulation of flue gas desulfurization.
- For the Tarfaya core samples, the polar fractions were first treated by Raney Nickel desulphurization, to release sulphur-bound hydrocarbons, followed by column separation and hydrogenation of the apolar tractions to yield phytane.
- Developments in secondary steelmaking such as desulphurization, vacuum degassing, and argon shrouding have enabled better control of steel chemistry and the effective use of microalloyed elements.
- Example sentences
- It is used as an oxygen scavenger and desulfurizer in the manufacture of nickel and copper alloys, as a desulfurizer in the iron and steel industry; and as a reducing agent in the production of beryllium and titanium.
- The efflorescence and sintering of desulfurizer had not been found through checking after examinatorial test.
- Furthermore, sulphur is not a poison in these systems, but a fuel - so there is no desulphuriser needed.
Definition of desulfurize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan