(chiefly British also desulphurize)
Definition of desulfurize in English:
Remove sulfur or sulfur compounds from (a substance).
- A recent innovation desulfurizes the paste, produces lead carbonate, recovers sodium sulfate crystals, and recycles the H 2 O.
- Magnesium treatment desulphurises the iron to below 0,02% before alloying with the iron, and for economic reasons the sulphur content should be as low as possible.
- Mutant strains that were unable to desulphurize aromatic or aliphatic sulphonates in vitro showed a different effect on plant growth: strain SN36, deficient in the asfA gene; strain SN34, deficient in the ssuE gene.
- Example sentences
- A more recent application of formic acid is for pH regulation of flue gas desulfurization.
- For the Tarfaya core samples, the polar fractions were first treated by Raney Nickel desulphurization, to release sulphur-bound hydrocarbons, followed by column separation and hydrogenation of the apolar tractions to yield phytane.
- Developments in secondary steelmaking such as desulphurization, vacuum degassing, and argon shrouding have enabled better control of steel chemistry and the effective use of microalloyed elements.
- 2desulfurizer noun
- Example sentences
- It is used as an oxygen scavenger and desulfurizer in the manufacture of nickel and copper alloys, as a desulfurizer in the iron and steel industry; and as a reducing agent in the production of beryllium and titanium.
- The efflorescence and sintering of desulfurizer had not been found through checking after examinatorial test.
- Furthermore, sulphur is not a poison in these systems, but a fuel - so there is no desulphuriser needed.
Pronunciation: /dēˌsəlfərəˈzāSHən/ /dēˌsəlfəˌrīˈzāSHən/noun
Definition of desulfurize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.