Definition of detective in English:
- Eight of the suspects were today being quizzed by detectives at undisclosed police stations.
- Strathclyde Police last night confirmed that detectives had investigated the matter.
- The investigating detectives reviewed the color surveillance video at the dealership.
- ‘One of the prints we have found is yours,’ a Strathclyde Police detective inspector told her.
- The Q car team will include an advanced driver, detective sergeant and a police constable.
- He also telephoned a detective inspector and told him he was conducting a search.
- Since the mid-nineteenth century crime and detective fiction has been a prominent part of the output of all the dominant mass media.
- Jackson was sitting on the couch, watching some type of mystery detective crime fighting show.
- As well as detective work, crime prevention is also a key priority.
mid 19th century: from detect, on the pattern of pairs such as elect, elective. The noun was originally short for detective policeman, from an adjectival use of the word in the sense 'serving to detect'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.