- The easing of hostility or strained relations, especially between countries: a serious effort at detente with the eastern blocMore example sentences
- They are nostalgic for the good old days of detente - superpower summits, arms control, and discussions about balancing American and Russian power in regional conflicts.
- The chief architects of the superpower detente were President Richard Nixon and National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger.
- The description aptly described the new diplomacy of detente emerging from the 1972 super-power summit.
early 20th century: from French détente, literally 'loosening, relaxation'.
More definitions of detenteDefinition of detente in:
- The British & World English dictionary