Definition of determiner in English:
1A person or thing that determines or decides something.
- And the judge had an opportunity, as an independent determiner of facts, to determine whether or not she is in a persistent vegetative state.
- The judge will be the final determiner and that is in November and our panel will assemble right after this.
- The real surprise is that in terms of total population and population density (the things I think are the biggest single determiners of whether a railway is viable or not) Los Angeles is remarkably similar to both New York and London.
2 Grammar A modifying word that determines the kind of reference a noun or noun group has, for example a, the, every. See also definite article, indefinite article.
- The idea that the determiner heads a noun phrase might seem counterintuitive to some readers.
- I'm no kind of expert on translation, but if they'd asked me, I would have been tempted to nominate some morphological category like inchoative, or some preposition or determiner.
- In this intermediate period, especially indefinite determiners seem to be distributed in a quite clear cut way according to the specificity of the referents introduced by the respective noun phrases.
Definition of determiner in:
- British & World English dictionary