Definition of determiner in English:
1A person or thing that determines or decides something.
- And the judge had an opportunity, as an independent determiner of facts, to determine whether or not she is in a persistent vegetative state.
- The judge will be the final determiner and that is in November and our panel will assemble right after this.
- The real surprise is that in terms of total population and population density (the things I think are the biggest single determiners of whether a railway is viable or not) Los Angeles is remarkably similar to both New York and London.
2 Grammar A modifying word that determines the kind of reference a noun or noun group has, for example a, the, every. See also definite article, indefinite article.
- The idea that the determiner heads a noun phrase might seem counterintuitive to some readers.
- I'm no kind of expert on translation, but if they'd asked me, I would have been tempted to nominate some morphological category like inchoative, or some preposition or determiner.
- In this intermediate period, especially indefinite determiners seem to be distributed in a quite clear cut way according to the specificity of the referents introduced by the respective noun phrases.
Definition of determiner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan