Definition of deterritorialization in English:
The severance of social, political, or cultural practices from their native places and populations.
- Globalization also represents a great threat insofar as it implies the deterritorialization of all cultural systems.
- Deleuze put it perfectly: capitalist deterritorialization requires a constant reterritorialization.
- Terrorism's deterritorialization is a negative reflection of our own economic and political tendencies.
- deterritorialize verb
- Example sentences
- The French spend their time taking stock, while the English, he says, always ‘deterritorialize themselves’.
- Sakai's notion of English as a contributor of heterogeneity also helps to deterritorialize English as a language that conveys an inherently American cultural sensibility.
- It must deterritorialize tradition and celebrate the entrepreneur currently starring in financial pages and stump speeches, not to mention school curricula.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.