Dislike intensely: of all birds the carrion crow is the most detested by gamekeepers
More example sentences
- They loathe tinsel, detest office parties and abhor rum balls of all kinds.
- Some shoppers detest them intensely, while millions will use them but can't be bothered to claim the benefits.
- It is ironic that the general population hates drug dealers, but fears and often detests the police just as much.
late 15th century: from Latin detestari, from de- 'down' + testari 'witness, call upon to witness' (from testis 'a witness').
- More example sentences
- But now I pray to Allah to cure me in order for me to take revenge on those detesters of everything Arab and Muslim.
- They had to get out of their house before Greg and his group of Irish detesters came by.
- Also, apologies to parenthesis detesters and for sparse information of specific venues.