Definition of detune in English:
1Cause (a musical instrument) to become out of tune.
- It's a dark and compelling mix ending in a brilliant death disco anthem; Sonar Tim, freed from his usual position behind the drum kit, is on his knees on the floor, tuning and detuning his guitar as he beats the strings.
- So to sing it successfully I've had to detune my guitar by one tone.
- Or simply detuning his guitar until the strings fell off.
2 (usually as adjective detuned) Reduce the performance or efficiency of (a motor vehicle or engine) by adjustment.
- This is a slightly detuned, more refined version of the 147/156 GTA motor, and its easy, creamy power delivery lets you amble at low speeds without demanding a downshift if the traffic suddenly vanishes.
- Bruins' team had detuned the car slightly to be on the safe side, and it ‘went crazy’ at the 1-2 shift, allowing Don Garlits to sneak past for a 6.36 to 6.40 victory.
- Engines were being detuned and within another year bigger engines were being dropped.
3Change the frequency of (an oscillatory system such as a laser) away from a state of resonance.
- One study compared massage with detuned laser therapy as placebo, and the other trials compared massage with various other physical treatments such as acupuncture or spinal manipulation.
- If we detune laser A from resonance the symmetry is destroyed.
Definition of detune in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan