- 1A member of a class of divine beings in the Vedic period, which in Indian religion are benevolent and in Zoroastrianism are evil. Compare with asura.More example sentences
- Second, they solicit special blessings from the devas and Deities, society and village, family and friends.
- Gods, devas, demi-gods, human, animal… these are all part of the Karmic Cycle of Existence called Samsara.
- Thank you for introducing me to my Hindu Gods, my guardian devas and my wonderful Saivite religion.
- 1.1Indian (In general use) a god.More example sentences
- In the god, or deva, realm one is more ‘blissed-out,’ and the pleasure here is more of a sense of meditative absorption, a self-consciousness, a mental state of swelling on one's own ego.
- The devas are the gods, beings who live in realms of constant pleasure.
- The rationale of the exercise was that if man performed the sacrificial rituals correctly, the devas would reciprocate by performing their cosmic function in the most beneficent way.
early 19th century: Sanskrit, literally 'shining one', later 'god'.
More definitions of devaDefinition of deva in:
- The British & World English dictionary