verb[with object] Phonetics
- Make (a vowel or voiced consonant) voiceless.More example sentences
- Final voiced consonants tend to be devoiced: ‘dok’ for dog, ‘piecess’ for pieces.
- The other step in making granted sound exactly the same as granite is to devoice the final /d/.
- Among other things, it's not uncommon to hear a German native speaker devoicing at least some final consonants while speaking English.
More definitions of devoiceDefinition of devoice in:
- The British & World English dictionary