Definition of diagenesis in English:
The physical and chemical changes occurring during the conversion of sediment to sedimentary rock.
- This article is geared primarily to individuals, students as well as professionals, who are relatively new to carbonate diagenesis and petroleum reservoir rocks.
- These processes, collectively termed sedimentary diagenesis, occur through interactions between sediment grains and the waters in contact with them.
- Comparisons with the potential source rocks of these sediments suggest little alteration during sediment transport and diagenesis.
- Example sentences
- Metamorphism could be thought of as an extreme form of diagenesis, but diagenetic processes are generally distinguished from metamorphism and are considered in terms of the sedimentary rocks on which they act.
- The only volumetrically important and widespread diagenetic effect of groundwater flow on carbonates in near-surface evaporitic settings is reflux dolomitization.
- Most microbes live in near-surface or shallow subsurface diagenetic settings where temperatures and pressures are relatively low and nutrients are abundant.
- Example sentences
- At each sample site, the least diagenetically modified, coarser grained sediments from laminae of dune couplets were selected for analysis.
- This record, however, is diagenetically altered in most continental shelf sections and only high frequency temperature trends are generally preserved (Schrag et al. 1995 and references therein).
- We acknowledge that virtually all Paleozoic calcareous foraminifers are diagenetically altered.
Definition of diagenesis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan