Definition of dialysis in English:
noun (plural dialyses-sēz)Chemistry
1The separation of particles in a liquid on the basis of differences in their ability to pass through a membrane.
- Both RC-bound Zn ions can be removed by equilibrium dialysis against a metal chelating resin.
- The fraction which precipitated upon dialysis against water represented a 5-fold purification.
- The unit causes electric dialysis by producing electromagnetic oscillations in the water.
1.1 Medicine The clinical purification of blood by dialysis, as a substitute for the normal function of the kidney.
- Kidney transplants are an alternative to dialysis when both kidneys have ceased to function.
- Mr Gilpin needed renal dialysis to stay alive.
- The man had to visit his doctor three times a week for renal dialysis.
- Example sentences
- The gene Wa (white anthers) was mapped previously to the interval between markers dl (dialytic) and ae (entirely anthocyaninless) and distal to Got - 4 on the long arm of chromosome 8.
- The effect of peritoneal dialysis with three kinds of dialytic fluid was studied.
- A flow rate adjusting member is provided to a downstream supply line between a coupling portion for coupling the dialytic fluid supply line to the bypass line and the dialyzer.
Words that rhyme with dialysisanalysis, catalysis, paralysis, psychoanalysis
Definition of dialysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan