1Used to emphasize how completely different two or more things are: he’s the diametrical opposite of Gabriel
More example sentences
- Lester Bangs and Ian MacDonald have more than that in common, although in many ways they were diametrical opposites.
- But what passes for secularism in India is often the diametrical opposite of what goes by the same name in the West.
- ‘The only way you can write something that survives is that someone who's your diametrical opposite can agree with it,’ says Jimmy Wales, a founder of Wikipedia.
2Of or along a diameter.
- The rum-shop and grocery that stood on the diametrical axis, across Old St Joseph Road from our front-bedroom, was frequently robbed.
- Other available test methods include axial compression (UCS based) and indirect diametrical tensile testing, which is preferred by Austab.
- Where direct determination is to be performed, a variety of test methods (including repeated load triaxial, indirect diametrical tensile and unconfined compression) are available.
- Example sentences
- Clearly, there is a diametric difference of opinion as to whether the handling of the BTC sale conformed to the law, with the Government and the would-be buyers insisting that it did, and their detractors insisting that it did not.
- Alex is almost the diametric opposite of Kylie.
- He is conscious that at the moment the British press have warmed to him, intrigued by the diametric polarities between his personality and Trevor's.
Words that rhyme with diametricalasymmetrical, geometrical, metrical, symmetrical, trimetrical
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.