Definition of diamondback in English:
1 (also diamondback rattlesnake) A large, common North American rattlesnake with diamond-shaped markings. Also called diamond rattlesnake.
- Genus Crotalus, family Viperidae: two species
- At 35 deg C, not atypical of a sunny, summer day in the southwestern U.S. deserts, the western diamondback rattlesnake, Crotalus atrox, shakes its rattle at frequencies up to 90 Hz.
- It's a showdown between two of the world's most dangerous desert hunters: a red-tailed hawk and a diamondback rattlesnake.
- I was asked to pick up a western diamondback rattlesnake bare-handed.
2 another term for terrapin (sense 1).
- The periwinkle in turn is preyed upon by blue crabs and diamondback terrapins.
- Volunteers found 21 diamondback terrapins in abandoned crab traps pulled from the edge of the bay.
- This suggests that all could provide food for diamondback terrapins.
Words that rhyme with diamondbackBlumenbach
Definition of diamondback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan