Definition of dichlorvos in English:
A pale yellow liquid used as an insecticide and veterinary anthelmintic.
- An organophosphorus compound; alternative name: 2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate; chemical formula: (CH3O)2PO2CHCCl2
- It is known commercially to treat salmon suffering from infestation with sea lice by the use of the insecticide dichlorvos.
- Ministers were advised last July to recall dozens of household insecticides containing the chemical dichlorvos, because of new evidence that it could cause cancer.
- Experiments in greenhouses and food storage areas show that 90 percent of the applied dichlorvos disappeared in three to six hours.
Mid 20th century: from elements of the systematic name (see above).
Definition of dichlorvos in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.