Definition of dickcissel in English:
A sparrowlike North American songbird related to the cardinals, with a black-and-white throat and bright yellow breast.
- Spiza americana, family Emberizidae (subfamily Cardinalinae)
- Grasslands and prairies support a number of polygynous species as well, including meadowlarks, bobolinks, dickcissels, lark buntings, and great-tailed grackles.
- He's set up a network of 15 computerized monitoring stations that listen for dickcissels in flight.
- Henslow's sparrows were present in five of the six tracts and dickcissels present in all six.
Late 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of dickcissel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.