Definition of diencephalon in English:
The caudal (posterior) part of the forebrain, containing the epithalamus, thalamus, hypothalamus, and ventral thalamus and the third ventricle. Compare with telencephalon.
- The latter includes the diencephalon; mesencephalon, or midbrain; pons; and medulla oblongata.
- The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.
- From previous anatomical data, we hypothesize that the level of such actions is suprametameric, with strong implication of the diencephalon and cerebral cortex.
- Example sentences
- The red nucleus has been cleaned so that its larger, spherical mesencephalic part can be distinguished from the more rostral, ovoid diencephalic part.
- Transversal cut at the level of the anterior preoptic area showing ACTH-immunoreactivity cell groups around the diencephalic ventricle.
- He showed that electro-acupuncture stimulation can affect the diencephalic area of the brain, a region that promotes the body's own healing responses.
Definition of diencephalon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan