Definition of digital in English:
1(Of signals or data) expressed as series of the digits 0 and 1, typically represented by values of a physical quantity such as voltage or magnetic polarization. Often contrasted with analog.
- The digital signal is converted back to an analog one when it reaches its destination.
- The receiving modem translates the analog signals back to digital form.
- Boxes are required to translate the digital binary code back to analog signals for viewing.
1.2Involving or relating to the use of computer technology: the digital revolution
More example sentences
- On top of this, this whole situation elevates the issue of computer security and thus Internet technology and the digital world.
- With technologies merging and the digital revolution moving in, a closer look at movie-making seems timely.
- Readers have remarked before how some digital technology mavens merely acquire, and never seem to listen to what they hoard.
2(Of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of displayed digits rather than hands or a pointer.
- Is it coincidence that our generation is infatuated with digital watches and clocks?
- I sink down in my seat, and watch the digital clock on the dashboard count away.
- They were betting on the temperature displayed on a digital clock across Liberty Street.
3Of or relating to a finger or fingers.
- The saphenous sometimes provides the medial dorsal digital nerve to the great toe.
- Fifteen percent of colorectal cancers can be detected by digital rectal examination.
- Biopsy rates reflect the intensity of screening with digital rectal examinations as well as prostate specific antigen.
late 15th century: from Latin digitalis, from digitus 'finger, toe'.
- Example sentences
- Today with advanced technology, one can even digitally copy a movie from a theatre screen and slip out silently.
- For a change this documentary did not have faceless people talking shyly with their faces blurred digitally.
- He manipulates these surfaces digitally, weaving them into strange movies.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan