Definition of dime store in English:
1A shop selling cheap merchandise (originally one where the maximum price was a dime).
- She seems to accept the seductive power of merchandise, whether it is for sale at the dime store or installed in galleries and museums.
- It is an American success story and it has grown from a humble dime store into the world's biggest retail chain, leaving other shopping icons far behind and that success has sparked controversy.
- The chain, they decided, would exude the mild pretension of a low-end department store rather than the folksiness of a high-end dime store.
1.1 [as modifier] Cheap and inferior: plastic dime-store toys
More example sentences
- And she had on this pair of really big, really ugly, really cheap, plastic, dime-store earrings.
- In a blinding flash he realised that the tiny, plastic ninja figures and other dime-store toys that were available all over New York were woefully under used as leading players in the classical theatre.
- She had on a pair of tacky dime-store cat eye sunglasses and a large, red hat with a feather sticking out of it; the hat she wore only a few times to prominent galas (unfortunately not the Pineapple Bay Ball).
Definition of dime store in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan