(chiefly British also dimethyl sulphoxide
, abbreviation: DMSO)
A colorless liquid used as a solvent and synthetic reagent. It is readily able to penetrate the skin and is used in medicinal preparations for skin application.
- Chemical formula: (CH3)2SO
More example sentences
- The aim of this study is to explore the fascinating suggestion that structural differences can be induced in hypericin by changing the solvent from a commonly used solvent such as dimethyl sulfoxide to tetrahydrofuran.
- The polar chemical dimethyl sulfoxide is a widely used reagent in cell biology.
- Water insoluble compounds were given as a solution in dimethyl sulphoxide.
Definition of dimethyl sulfoxide in:
- The British & World English dictionary