Change (a vowel) into a diphthong.
More example sentences
- But at normal conversational speed its ghastly sequence of four diphthongized long vowels (in the nicely symmetrical but un-IPA Trager-Smith transcription, / ay ey iy ey /) sounds something like ah-ee-yay-ee-yee-yay-ee.
- Stealth has a long, tense, diphthongized high vowel [i], whereas stealth has a short, lax, mid-vowel.
- In particular, the vowel of the last syllable was a pretty good IPA [e], not diphthongized like the vowel in English babe but also not laxed and shortened like the vowel in English bed.
- More example sentences
- The diphthongisation of [i:] and [y:] led to a merging of sounds as can be seen in this table.
- Nonetheless, a number of studies suggest that at least diphthongization and nasal and lateral depalatalization may be unproductive in Spanish.
- What is more, he observes that the diphthongisation works more efficiently when the word in question is feminine, and less systematically when the word is masculine or higher register.
Pronunciation: /ˌdifTHäNGgəˈzāSHən, ˌdip-, -THôNG-/noun
Definition of diphthongize in:
- The British & World English dictionary