- 1An official representing a country abroad.More example sentences
- Government leaders, senior officials and diplomats attended the ceremony.
- The news will come as a blow in London where senior officials and diplomats believed a new resolution was possible by last week.
- The officials and diplomats spoke anonymously because of the delicacy of the negotiations on what tack to take on Iran.
- 1.1A person who can deal with people in a sensitive and effective way.More example sentences
- You need to be an organiser, negotiator, diplomat and entertainer, ready to deal with anything and everything.
early 19th century: from French diplomate, back-formation from diplomatique 'diplomatic', from Latin diploma (see diploma).