Definition of dipole in English:
1A pair of equal and oppositely charged or magnetized poles separated by a distance.
- The succeeding positive slope arises due to the orientation of the headgroup dipoles.
- Interaction between the in-plane components of the headgroup dipoles is attractive and decays as the inverse sixth power of distance.
- Dielectric constants of nonpolar solvents arise from induced dipoles.
1.1An antenna consisting of a horizontal metal rod with a connecting wire at its center.
- These methods allow engineers to fabricate many different types of planar IR antennas, including dipoles, spirals, and patches.
- One of the simplest feeds for a microwave antenna is the dipole.
- The loss of the helical spring antenna is approximately 10 dB compared to a half-wave dipole.
1.2 Chemistry A molecule in which a concentration of positive electric charge is separated from a concentration of negative charge.
- The relative magnitudes of the molecular dipoles can be explained by the relative electronegativity differences of the atoms forming the bonds.
- In this way, temporary dipoles are propagated through a liquid or solid.
- If there is a separation of charge in an bond, it possesses a dipole.
- Example sentences
- The spatial proximities between labels are determined by heteronuclear dipolar couplings, which are measured by rotational-echo double resonance (Gullion and Schaefer, 1989 ab).
- This expression was summed over a Gaussian distribution of dipolar couplings corresponding to a distribution of isolated 13 C- 19 F spin pairs.
- Almost certainly it involves the strongly dipolar properties of the interfacial tryptophans that are present in both the [beta] 6.3 and [arrow up] [arrow down] [beta] 7.2 structures.
Definition of dipole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan