- The reporting of speech by repeating the actual words of a speaker, for example “I’m going,” she said. Contrasted with reported speech.More example sentences
- Today, they slyly tried to report indirect speech as direct speech.
- The uses of quotation marks for direct speech, quoted material, and other purposes are discussed separately below; there is considerable overlap among the various categories.
- The direct speech of male characters was invariably introduced by the simple tag he said, but the speech of women by a variety of expressive verbal groups, she gasped, she sighed, she whispered urgently, she cried passionately.
More definitions of direct speechDefinition of direct speech in:
- The British & World English dictionary