Definition of director in English:
1A person who is in charge of an activity, department, or organization: he has been appointed finance director
More example sentences
- Many of them, including a series of finance directors, had already departed.
- Finance directors will be reluctant to take a big hit on their profits, so where possible will look around for other cost savings.
- Gleeson was also appointed senior independent non-executive director for the purposes of the Combined Code on Corporate Governance.
1.1A member of the board of people that manages or oversees the affairs of a business.
- Business ties between directors and companies whose boards they sit on are being terminated.
- In the meantime it also appears that there is friction between board directors and shareholders.
- Anglo Irish currently has six non-executive directors and five executive directors on its board.
1.2A person who supervises the actors, camera crew, and other staff for a movie, play, television program, or similar production.
- The film director Jean Cocteau was a very strange man, in a decidedly French way.
- Jews played a major part in theater and in the film industry as producers, directors and actors.
- Film directors often gave comedy actors like Vivek a relatively free hand in developing the humour track.
1.3 short for musical director.
- But there are many music composers, directors and singers who do not support the remix culture.
- Francesca Zambello, one of the world's foremost female directors of opera and musical theatre, will direct.
- Those were days when the artistes, directors and composers used to spend days together to perfect the songs.
Words that rhyme with directorbisector, collector, connector, convector, corrector, defector, deflector, detector, ejector, elector, erector, hector, injector, inspector, nectar, objector, perfecter, projector, prospector, protector, rector, reflector, rejector, respecter, sector, selector, Spector, spectre (US specter), vector
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.