Definition of directory in English:
noun (plural directories)
1A book listing individuals or organizations alphabetically or thematically with details such as names, addresses, and telephone numbers.
- I go down to the MHS library and begin looking at the 1912 city directories, alphabetical listings of people, their addresses, and occupations.
- The directory, besides listing details about its members, has several other user-friendly features.
- Even media businesses or services without a web presence can benefit from having their details listed in the directory.
1.1 Computing A file that consists solely of a set of other files (which may themselves be directories).
- Though my home directory is encrypted, my data still may not be completely safe.
- Windows users' roaming user profiles also are stored in their home directories on the server.
- Of course you can delete your entire root directory with this approach if you so choose.
Late Middle English (in the general sense 'something that directs'): from late Latin directorium, from director 'governor', from dirigere 'to guide'.
Words that rhyme with directoryex-directory, interjectory, rectory, refectory, trajectory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan