noun (plural directories)
- 1A book listing individuals or organizations alphabetically or thematically with details such as names, addresses, and telephone numbers.More example sentences
- I go down to the MHS library and begin looking at the 1912 city directories, alphabetical listings of people, their addresses, and occupations.
- The directory, besides listing details about its members, has several other user-friendly features.
- Even media businesses or services without a web presence can benefit from having their details listed in the directory.
- 1.1 Computing A file that consists solely of a set of other files (which may themselves be directories).More example sentences
- Though my home directory is encrypted, my data still may not be completely safe.
- Windows users' roaming user profiles also are stored in their home directories on the server.
- Of course you can delete your entire root directory with this approach if you so choose.
late Middle English (in the general sense 'something that directs'): from late Latin directorium, from director 'governor', from dirigere 'to guide'.