State control of economic and social matters.
- The collapse of communism finally undid socialist dirigisme.
- At the heart of Europe's reticence to follow the USA into the information free-for-all is a curious mixture of Continental, right wing dirigisme and social democratic, anti - market prejudice.
- Examples of active industrial policy range from the French tradition of indicative economic planning or dirigisme to the various degrees of government support and direction in East Asia.
- Example sentences
- Substantial middle and upper middle income groups have emerged, but in most developing countries they are thwarted by dirigiste policies that limit personal freedom and economic opportunities.
- Neoclassical orthodoxy provided the intellectual foundations of a collectivist - or at any rate an interventionist and dirigiste - political consensus.
- His political legacy, originally intended to be tighter integration of Britain into Europe, now looks like becoming the disengagement of Britain from a federalist, dirigiste, protectionist monolith.
1950s: from French, from the verb diriger, from Latin dirigere 'to direct'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of dirigisme in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.