- 1An offensive or indecent word.More example sentences
- It is indecent to use dirty words in one's native language, but foreign words are fine.
- I kept about half of them and delete those with too many dirty words - the words are insulting every reader's eyes.
- She then explains that she thinks that's a dirty word because obscenity is all in the mind and that word just doesn't sit right with her.
- 1.1A thing regarded with dislike or disapproval: people can talk about profit without it being a dirty wordMore example sentences
- Here, at last, was someone who I had feared would always be a figment of my imagination: a Labour leader who did not regard profit as a dirty word but who did regard nationalisation as a dirty word.
- In the US where the words Welfare and Public Service are regarded as dirty words, they only spend 30% of the GDP on public services.
- One subject we have not dealt with is the visual junk diet of soaps, smut, and vulgar language: the verbal corruption that has infected our nation's bloodstream and turned courtesy into a dirty word among the young.
More definitions of dirty wordDefinition of dirty word in:
- The British & World English dictionary