- 1A sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life: 159 people died in the disaster disaster struck within minutes of takeoffMore example sentences
- Hurricane Katrina will be the costliest natural disaster in U.S. history by a factor of five.
- The horrific devastation caused by this tsunami may be the worst natural disaster in recent history.
- And President Bush is offering U.S. aid and condolences to people affected by the Asian tsunami disaster.
- 1.1 [as modifier] Denoting a genre of films that use natural or accidental catastrophe as the mainspring of plot and setting: a disaster movieMore example sentences
- This disc is worth at least a rental, and if you're a fan of disaster type flicks, a purchase.
- It felt like trespassing onto the film set of a disaster movie.
- It's only a matter of time before we're treated to a World Trade Center disaster film.
- 1.2An event or fact that has unfortunate consequences: a string of personal disasters reduced legal aid could spell financial disasterMore example sentences
- But a series of personal disasters and financial ruin triggered a mental disorder that was to turn the father of two into a killer.
- The suite contains the computers and equipment necessary to help a small business function in the event of a company disaster.
- It was recognised as such by the Iraqi people, but the subsequent handling of events was a disaster.
- 1.3 • informal A person, act, or thing that is a failure: my perm is a total disasterMore example sentences
- And it was fine for all the media celebs to go to a ball game but it was a total disaster for Kerry to do so.
- He's had a very hard time. His current situation is a total disaster.
- Maize, a relatively new crop, is looking like a total disaster, according to Mr Dempsey.
be a recipe for disaster
- Be extremely likely to have unfortunate consequences: sky-high interest rates are a recipe for disasterMore example sentences
- Split-second decision making without thinking about the consequences is a recipe for disaster.
- Extremism and terrorism is a recipe for disaster, and will destroy this extraordinary alliance against U.S. imperialism.
- Your desperate craving to make a good impression, coupled with your extreme nervousness, is a recipe for disaster.
late 16th century: from Italian disastro 'ill-starred event', from dis- (expressing negation) + astro 'star' (from Latin astrum).