1Refuse to acknowledge; deny: the school disclaimed any responsibility for his death
More example sentences
- And while disclaiming responsibility and blaming others, many suffer unnecessarily because of wrong priorities, wrong choices, squandered opportunities.
- He was blamed for a change in directors and a runaway budget though he disclaimed responsibility for either.
- The audit's findings prompted the government to disclaim any responsibility to reimburse the credits and threatened to withdraw the bonds it had issued to the central bank.
1.1 Law Renounce a legal claim to (a property or title).
- The most common examples are the rights of trustees in bankruptcy and liquidators of companies to disclaim certain property under the provisions of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- In the Peerage Act peers were given the option of disclaiming their titles within one year.
- The original beneficiary cannot choose where disclaimed property will go, so a contingent beneficiary must be in place to receive the benefits.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.