- Unfortunately, subaerial erosion has made the continental sedimentary record very incomplete and discontinuous.
- The hanging-wall zone contained 33% of the copper and was the most erratic and discontinuous zone.
- However, the prospects for discontinuous, disruptive change appear slim.
- And the length of the curve is again a discontinuous function of the starting point.
- Also important is his work on divergent series and discontinuous functions.
- In contrast to this, discontinuous functions are a staple of classical mathematics.
- Example sentences
- Its findings suggest, however, that without major acquisitions, the likelihood of moving instantaneously and discontinuously from one period's opportunity frontier to that of another is low.
- We don't say there's a missing link in a cliff, because the height changes discontinuously along the ground, that's just how landscape works.
- Clearly this coarse-grained level of model cannot pick up specific and discontinuously large shifts of the transition state, which in small proteins will often dominate particular cases.
Mid 17th century (in the sense 'producing discontinuity'): from medieval Latin discontinuus, from dis- 'not' + continuus (see continuous).
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.