- All of these may usually be discrete and distinct domains but one key theme of this chapter is that there are also overlaps.
- These conjoined applications raise one point in common and others discrete to the individual cases.
- That is, does age affect general ability or does it have discrete effects on individual abilities?
On the difference between discrete and discreet, see discreet (usage).
- Example sentences
- Opposed to continuity is discreteness: to be discrete is to be separated, like the scattered pebbles on a beach or the leaves on a tree.
- The effect of photodiode-array discreteness was checked by using two different magnification factors; results were similar.
- Information on the plasticity of the migratory routes of bowhead whales provides insight on their vulnerability to changes in available habitats, and determination of migration routes also elucidates stock discreteness.
Late Middle English: from Latin discretus 'separate'; compare with discreet.
Words that rhyme with discreteaccrete, autocomplete, beet, bittersweet, bleat, cheat, cleat, clubfeet, compete, compleat, complete, conceit, Crete, deceit, delete, deplete, discreet, eat, effete, élite, entreat, escheat, estreat, excrete, feat, feet, fleet, gîte, greet, heat, leat, leet, Magritte, maltreat, marguerite, meat, meet, meet-and-greet, mesquite, mete, mistreat, neat, outcompete, peat, Pete, petite, pleat, receipt, replete, sangeet, seat, secrete, sheet, skeet, sleet, splay-feet, street, suite, sweet, teat, treat, tweet, wheat
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.