Definition of discretize in English:
verb[with object] Mathematics
Represent or approximate (a quantity or series) using a discrete quantity or quantities.
- To solve such equations we must retreat to discrete steps and computations, and sometimes the continuous space itself must be discretized over a mesh before submission to a computing device.
- Ten categories appear to be sufficient for discretizing the integral over parameters.
- Approximations are made when the world is represented using continuous models (partial differential equations) and when these continuous models are discretized.
- Example sentences
- Analyses all required a planar mathematical discretization of a region containing a prescribed number of cells with prescribed orientations.
- For example, engineers use multigrid methods to analyze numeric properties of physical phenomena using a hierarchy of grid discretization.
- To improve the accuracy of that extrapolation, we place a high premium on finding improved algorithms that reduce discretization artifacts.
Definition of discretize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan