- 1The action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas: the proposals are not a blueprint but ideas for discussion the specific content of the legislation was under discussionMore example sentences
- Theatre does matter: it is a forum for ideas and discussion within a community.
- He said the idea of a single site school had been under discussion for four to five years.
- Even as these protests reached Berlin, a fifth solution was under discussion there.
- 1.1A conversation or debate about a certain topic: discussions about environmental improvement programsMore example sentences
- It has had articles written about it, and generated much heat in discussions and debate.
- Others were in constant discussions and debates in the campsites or in the refreshment areas.
- The rally kicked off a week of lively, exciting political debates and discussions.
- 1.2A detailed treatment of a particular topic in speech or writing.More example sentences
- Although a detailed discussion of this topic is beyond the scope of this paper, a few salient facts may be noted.
- A jury was sworn in for a re-trial but discharged following detailed legal discussions.
- The provisions cover a wide range, and it is beyond the scope of this work to provide a detailed discussion of them all.
Middle English (denoting judicial examination): via Old French from late Latin discussio(n-), from discutere 'investigate' (see discuss).