- She twirled a strand of her long hair and smirked at my disheveled appearance.
- She smiled happily as she approached us, and despite our disheveled appearance, we managed to kneel.
- We received a few strange looks at our disheveled appearances, but I knew for now that I wouldn't be left to meet them alone.
- Example sentences
- Later, they all relaxed, like actors after the performance, unmindful of their attire and a slight air of dishevelment.
- Innocence and dishevelment go hand in hand when you're eight years old and rather bored.
- He took one look at their sopping clothes, the chunks of food all over them and the general dishevelment of their appearance before laughing.
Late Middle English: from obsolete dishevely, from Old French deschevele, past participle of descheveler (based on chevel 'hair', from Latin capillus). The original sense was 'having the hair uncovered'; later, referring to the hair itself, 'hanging loose', hence 'disordered, untidy' Compare with unkempt.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.