Definition of disinter in English:
verb (disinters, disinterring, disinterred)[with object]
1Dig up (something that has been buried, especially a corpse).
- Mopping up continued through the night as frantic efforts were made to disinter the troops buried in the tunnels.
- The ghastly sight of mutilated corpses disinterred from mass graves is psychologically incompatible with calculations about scarce resources, opportunity costs and trade-offs.
- In 1648 his remains were disinterred and buried under a dunghill, but after the Restoration they were restored to their original resting place.
1.1Discover (something that is well hidden): he has disinterred and translated an important collection of writings
More example sentences
- Plans for such a move were regarded by observers as an apparent attempt to make political gains from disinterring the past of some of the governing coalition's opponents.
- Yet it was not until the final chapter, in which Cagliostro's legacy - historical, cultural, philosophical - is disinterred, that I really began to care.
- So it isn't so much an exasperation, but a mystification, almost amounting to irritation under questioning, that Berkovic should be disinterred from the mental plot to which the manager has evidently assigned him.
early 17th century: from French désenterrer, from dis- (expressing reversal) + enterrer 'to inter'.
- Example sentences
- In some cases the long-revered bones were found to be fabrications of wax or plaster: films of the disinterments were shown throughout the republic and were a persuasive anti-religious weapon.
- But after December 4, when he witnessed the disinterment of four American women murdered by Salvadoran soldiers, his life would never be the same.
- A state of expectation is growing in Spain regarding the disinterment of the body of the great Spanish poet, author and playwright, Federico Garcia Lorca.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan