Definition of dissected in English:
1Having been cut up for anatomical study.
- This leads King into an extended digression on Michelangelo's use of nudity, including the evidence that the artist had studied dissected corpses in great detail.
- It is also noted that many artificial fluorogenic substrates have been developed that provide alternative methods and extend the scope of enzymatic reactions that can be studied quantitatively with small dissected samples.
- In this study, we use one half of dissected lymph nodes for histologic examination and the other half for telomerase assay.
2Having a divided form or structure, in particular.
- Our analysis of dissected stems and the outer anatomy of fossil logs indicates that the Eocene Metasequoia were strongly self-pruning.
- Images included dissected lines on a screen, the subtleties of bird flight expressed through the movements of hands and head, a weaving toy plane.
- Within the opening room is a tall, minimalist sculpture made of glass, to which a cluster of carefully dissected books has been attached: one blue, one brown, one black.
2.1 Botany (Of a leaf) divided into many deep lobes.
- B. erecta is a stoloniferous species, consisting of a rosette of petiolated dissected leaves.
- True aquatic plant species often have thin, highly dissected leaves, a morphology which is believed to be directed to the optimization of gas exchange underwater.
- Morphologically, the population is distinguished by having much more dissected leaves than the normal form.
2.2 Geology (Of a plateau or upland) divided by a number of deep valleys.
- Most of the Kimberley Group is undeformed and a broad dissected plateau is developed on the flat-lying rocks.
- It's a dissected Plateau margin with canyons, rocky hills and Mesquite / Cedar bush cover.
- The scalloped rim presents a series of sheer walls ahead and behind, but to our left there is an utter falling away, a dropping and dropping until a dissected badlands finally looms up.
Definition of dissected in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan