nounBotany & Zoology
- A partition in a part or organ; a septum.More example sentences
- A distinctive character of adult corallites of Macgeea dubia is the tendency to develop numerous herringbone dissepiments, which is increased by the fact that minor septa are commonly reduced.
- During this time small horizontal internal blister-like plates called dissepiments appeared in several lineages.
- Additionally, in the Kendrick corals dolomitic crusts are common on the exteriors of septal flanks and dissepiment surfaces within interseptal spaces.
early 18th century: from Latin dissaepimentum, from dissaepire 'make separate', from dis- (expressing separation) + saepire 'divide by a hedge'.
More definitions of dissepimentDefinition of dissepiment in:
- The British & World English dictionary