Definition of dissipation in English:
1Dissipated living: a descent into drunkenness and sexual dissipation
More example sentences
- His early death encouraged the belief that debauchery and dissipation had been the death of him and he was so little regarded after his passing that his corpse was cast into a pauper's grave in Canongate churchyard.
- The West itself, enamoured by these ideas, is suffering the consequences of dissipation and decaying morality that has corrupted its youth and doomed its civilisation to ruin and collapse.
- This was the troubling existence of social division; the co-existence of affluence and destitution; of learning with ignorance; of sobriety with dissipation and dissolution.
2Squandering of money, energy, or resources: the dissipation of the country’s mineral wealth
More example sentences
- Wasteful dissipation of resources has become associated more with the public sector than the private sector, especially since the collapse of the Soviet Union has revealed the worst excesses of public kleptocracy.
- With a state's economic weight in decline, the number of rivals and amount of disputed issues swells like a tidal wave, leading to dissipation of limited resources in many sectors.
- The plaintiff is relieved of the burden of managing a large sum of money and is protected from possible dissipation of the funds.
squandering, frittering (away), waste, misspending;
expenditure, draining, depletion
2.1 Physics Loss of energy, especially by its conversion into heat.
- It has been believed that, in addition to the avoidance mechanisms such as excess heat dissipation through evaporative cooling, intrinsic tolerance mechanisms are more relevant for a greater adaptation to high temperature.
- It should be noted that the heat generated by energy dissipation does not influence leaf temperature appreciably.
- But if equipment is already operating on the low end of nominal voltage then the brown-out may cause excessive heat dissipation in motors and electronic equipment.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan