- 1Far away: distantly he heard shoutsMore example sentences
- She could only distantly hear the shouts of her comrades over the rushing water and her own anxious heartbeat.
- She intended to put the money back, but, distantly, she heard shouts and clamoring.
- Somewhat distantly, she heard ‘Are you alright?’
- 1.1Not closely: they are distantly related to the elephantsMore example sentences
- However, this problem should be studied in more detail considering both distantly related and closely related species.
- Third, the more distantly related two individuals are, the more different their micro-satellites will be.
- Apparently the evolutionary pattern of distantly related sequences should be described differently from that of closely related sequences.
- 1.2Coolly or remotely: she smiled distantlyMore example sentences
- ‘It's a Jolly Roger,’ she says, and smiles distantly.
- He smiled faintly, distantly, and stared into the fire.
- Maud smiled distantly, as if reveling in some personal dream.
More definitions of distantlyDefinition of distantly in:
- The British & World English dictionary