- Increased or excessive production of urine. Compare with polyuria.More example sentences
- Loss of glucose in the urine causes osmotic diuresis, increasing urinary losses of electrolytes and water.
- Excessive diuresis might be an important cause of renal dysfunction while taking spironolactone.
- Be cautious in prescribing diuretics, as excessive diuresis may reduce stroke volume and cardiac output.
late 17th century: modern Latin, from di-3 'through' + Greek ourēsis 'urination'.
More definitions of diuresisDefinition of diuresis in:
- The British & World English dictionary