- 1A person or animal that dives, in particular.More example sentences
- Another champion diver, the elephant seal can dive more than 1500 meters and stay under for two hours.
- Little grebes are persistent divers, either slipping below without surface disturbance or with a vigorous jump, creating a shower with lobed feet.
- Sea ducks like scoters and eiders are also divers.
- 1.1A person who dives as a sport: an Olympic diverMore example sentences
- Available only to certified open-water scuba divers, instructional and safety lessons are provided prior to your dive.
- Fortunately, serious medical problems are not common in recreational scuba divers.
- An experienced deep-sea diver from Greater Manchester drowned after running out of air, an inquest was told.
- 1.2A person who wears a diving suit to work under water: a diver at the oil terminal a police diverMore example sentences
- Police divers and forensic officers were at the canal yesterday as the Force helicopter made several sweeps of the area.
- This week, police divers joined the operation, swimming through the river's cold, dark waters searching for clues.
- Members of the fire service's water rescue team also joined the search before police underwater divers turned out at 10.30 pm.
- 2 British term for loon1.
More definitions of diverDefinition of diver in:
- The British & World English dictionary