Definition of divergent in English:
1Tending to be different or develop in different directions: divergent interpretations varieties of English can remain astonishingly divergent from one another
More example sentences
- The procedures of the Japanese trial were grossly divergent from American legal standards of due process.
- The virtues sought in a deputy are sometimes quite divergent from those sought in a leader.
- They are also divergent from SCRs of the group 1 proteins.
1.1 Psychology (Of thought) using a variety of premises, especially unfamiliar premises, as bases for inference, and avoiding common limiting assumptions in making deductions.
- I am no commie, but I do recognize the role played by a divergent thought.
- Stories like Neon Genesis Evangelion push the creative envelope, and I appreciate them for their weirdness and divergent thought.
- Hopefully it will be a place to find new voices, divergent thoughts, and something worth thinking about or laughing at once in a while.
2 Mathematics (Of a series) increasing indefinitely as more of its terms are added.
- Continuing his mathematical work Ramanujan studied continued fractions and divergent series in 1908.
- In 1873 he gave a continuous function with divergent Fourier series at any point solving a major problem.
- He found a divergent series, the first few terms of which gave a good approximation to the integral.
- Example sentences
- There exists wide divergency as to what form of future human life we have to encourage.
- A London journalist has summed up the divergencies of the eight teams concerned in the current cup ties in this way.
- There will always be divergencies of opinion but there is over half a century of close co-operation on which to build.
- Example sentences
- I write because I seek to get people to stop thinking in ‘solid categories’, to think divergently and to question even the questions.
- Where their weaknesses will show up is in the world of work when they prove unable to think divergently.
- Seeking to be original and to think divergently are diamond assets that are not very common.
Words that rhyme with divergentconvergent, detergent, emergent, insurgent, resurgent, urgent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan