Definition of divi-divi in English:
noun (plural divi-divis)
1A tropical American tree of the pea family, bearing curled pods.
- Caesalpinia coriaria, family Leguminosae
- There is an indigenous tree, the divi-divi, which has a slightly peculiar response to the wind.
- We were pondering just that question in September 1998 while relaxing beneath the windblown divi-divi trees in Aruba.
- Thanks to constant trade winds, the divi-divis serve as a natural compass: they're bent toward the island's leeward - or western - side, where most of the hotels are.
1.1The pods of the divi-divi tree, used as a source of tannin.
- Divi-divi pods are used in the tanning industry as a substitute for sumac and oak gall apples.
- 'Divi-divi' pods appear to have been used by the inhabitants of. Central American countries from very early times for local tanning and for dyeing.
Mid 19th century: via American Spanish from Carib.
Definition of divi-divi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan