- A duck of a type that dives under water for food, such as the pochard, scaup, tufted duck, and goldeneye. Compare with dabbling duck.
More example sentences
- Tribes Aythyini and Mergini, family Anatidae: several genera, in particular Aythya and Bucephala
- Common Goldeneyes are diving ducks and forage mostly under water.
- Barrow's Goldeneyes are diving ducks, and whole groups of goldeneyes will dive at the same time.
- They pick food from the surface of shallow wetlands, graze in open fields, and steal food from coots and diving ducks.
More definitions of diving duckDefinition of diving duck in:
- The British & World English dictionary