Definition of dobsonfly in English:
noun (plural dobsonflies)
A large gray North American winged insect related to the alderflies. Its predatory aquatic larva (the hellgrammite) is often used as fishing bait.
- Family Corydalidae, order Neuroptera: several genera and species, in particular Corydalus cornutus
- Eastern dobsonflies live east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and Canada.
- Whereas, the aquatic immature spends several years in a stream, the adult dobsonfly lives only about 7 days.
- Fishflies and dobsonflies are nocturnal, while alderflies are active during the day.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of dobsonfly in:
- British & World English dictionary