Definition of docent in English:
1A person who acts as a guide, typically on a voluntary basis, in a museum, art gallery, or zoo.
- Museum docents, who will be musicians, will guide school groups through the museum, bringing history alive through performances, storytelling and interactive exhibits.
- Today we were the lucky recipients of a private tour, a gift from our friend G. who volunteers at the museum as a docent.
- Tour guides/docents will help us explore the emotional, aesthetic and spiritual impact of art in the largest urban sculpture garden in the U.S.
2(In certain universities and colleges) a member of the teaching staff immediately below professorial rank.
- After leaving Italy in 1922, Cech wrote his habilitation thesis, becoming a docent at the Charles University of Prague.
- In 1920 he returned to St Petersburg to two posts, one as professor at the Polytechnic Institute, and the other as docent at the university.
- Mellin was appointed as a docent at the University of Stockholm from 1884-91 but never actually gave any lectures.
Definition of docent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan